Kinesio® Taping is specifically applied to the athlete or patient based upon their needs after an evaluation. The findings of the evaluation dictate the direction in which the tape is applied, the cut of the tape, as well as how much stretch will be utilized.
Cornerstones of the Kinesio® Taping Method:
• Taping over and around muscles in order to assist and give support or to prevent over-contraction.
• Applying stretch to the tape or to the target area in order to create space under the skin and create the desired effect on the musculature.
• Affecting change in deeper layers of fascia by manipulating the skin and muscle.
• Creating space underneath the skin to improve circulation and lymphatic drainage.
• Utilizing a number of corrective techniques to promote correct muscle and joint function
• Pain relief by targeting the pain and the source of the pain
• Utilizing single “I” strips or modifications in the shape of an “X,” “Y” or other specialized shapes